Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Pleasanton

   I flew out of Mesa and into Oakland on Sunday to visit Tommy's family for a week. Tommy picked me up from the airport and we had a pleasant conversation as we drove to his home in Pleasanton, Californina. It was wonderful to feel the excitement from my grandchildren as they greeted me with big smiles and hugs. Xiaojun works very hard at home schooling and I am proud of her for having the discipline to ensure their very good education. Music, sports, chess, reading, math, etc., are a daily occurrence and they love to learn and are learning to be independent learners as they are allowed to pursue their own individual interests and styles.
Music lessons usually consist of violin, piano, and, believe it or not, the Chinese zither.   From what I understand it's one of the most ancient Chinese instruments. According to Chinese legend (which I happen to be interested in), a master of the 25-stringed zither had two daughters who learned to play it too and they loved it and as the master aged and couldn't play anymore, his two daughters both wanted to inherit the beautiful instrument. The father wanted both of them to have it, so eventually he had the zither split into two instruments, one with 12 strings, the other with 13 strings. Because of this division the instruments sounded better, more mellow, than the original 25-stringed instrument. But it looks like Noel's zither has about 21 strings. 

Xiaojun played tennis for many years and is now teaching her children. All three kids will be good at it. 

I was spoiled on Mother's Day with flowers and chocolate and cupcakes, and Tommy made me some strawberry crepes!







I don't think Tommy realized that he gave me the flower Erick always gave me on Mother's Day
 - an orchid. I have not received one since his death so this was a nice surprise. 

All of my children checked in on Mother's Day and Nathan's family gave me a bouquet of hydrangeas and Cold Stone gifts cards. Yummy. 

This lovely little statue is entitled "I Love You", from Michael. 

   Pleasanton is a nice area in California. I wish I could afford to live here, and besides that, who wouldn't want an address with the word Pleasant as part of its name. 



   

No comments: