Monday, April 28, 2014

The Visit

   It's been an eventful week. This past summer when Richie and Jena lived with us for 3 months I enjoyed it very much. So when Mom and Frank left this morning and I came back from the airport to an empty house, it felt very lonely and I began to cry. Of course the twins are a lot of company and I enjoy them very much, but they are teenagers, and although I love teenagers, it's not the same as having adult conversations and teasing, and someone to confide in. I'm usually busy enough not to notice but it's there, lurking in the back of my brain without realizing it.

   Anyway, Mom and Frank were here for 6 days. I had to talk them into coming and then I worked hard to accommodate every possible comfort so they'd want to come back again. By the time they left, I believe they felt appreciated, needed and loved. Before their arrival I know they considered this a big test and I think Wayne and I passed it.


(See how relaxed Jackson is when he's in his grandma's arms?!) :-)

   Before we drove out to Nathan's, one evening, both mom and Frank wanted a departure curfew of 7:00 p.m. While we were at Emrie's (and we were there for about 35 minutes before she arrived) mom motioned to me, privately, that she wanted to leave. The day before we drove to Wayne's, Frank asked if we could please leave no later than 8 p.m (while there he asked to leave at 7:30). I agreed to accommodate Mom and Frank and felt nothing wrong with their requests. Why would a child want to disrespect me over this? Thankfully Wayne took it in stride and went with the flow.



   Of course Mom and Frank were looking forward to seeing as many of the kids as possible, but I didn't think their requests were unreasonable. Mom is 76 years old and Frank has low 'little kid tolerance', though it doesn't mean they don't love everyone of them, but it does mean they like a little more peace and quiet than we, with children, are used to. They were dreading everyone being at my house on Sunday, but thankfully they were good sports and took the kids to the park in order to lower the noise level in the house. I know they will have good memories, but will go home and rest for a week - ha! Nathan's family is planning to visit them this summer and they are looking forward to that and will feel more comfortable accommodating his family on their home turf.


   Wayne and Frank surprised me by cleaning and organizing my garage. I could hardly believe it when mom and I drove back from going shopping and there was new shelving and a cleared garage floor. I told Wayne I was going to sleep in it that night :-). Mom and Frank helped me plant flowers and bushes and they look so pretty. It's wonderful to have help around the place. One of the best things I did in the last few years was move closer to my brother whom I adore. He goes out of his way, even during his busy life, to help me, and doesn't make me feel like I owe him anything even though I want to figure out how to give back other than the little ways that I do.

   Wayne came over again on Sunday and we missed church because of it. We needed to have some serious one-on-one time to talk with mom and Frank before they left and we'd been so busy during the week that we couldn't find a time to get together when no one else was around, and when Wayne could break away from his schedule. It turned out to be a spiritual experience and we were all touched by the profound lessons learned.


   Richie, Jena, and Jackson were able to come soon enough to spend time with Wayne, too. It was fun watching Richard and Wayne interact with each other. (As I look at the picture above I can hardly stand myself).

(Jackson has a concerned look on his face because he wants grandma to hold him)

   Overall it was a very nice visit, and Jackson is getting bigger already!  :-)

 

No comments: