Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Passing the Bar

   On the same day that I was offered a substantial scholarship and stipend towards my MSW, Tommy received notice that he had passed the Bar! Honestly, I am so proud of him; he has kept his eye on his goals and finally attained yet another big one.

   He works for Pearl Law Group, based in San Francisco: 
http://www.immigrationlaw.com/. 
Here is his entertaining biography: 
http://www.immigrationlaw.com/pearl_employee/tommy/

  It makes me very happy for Tommy  that this employer treats him so well, and respects and places a lot of trust in him. Tommy will soon help to start up a new avenue for this business and will work directly in Chinese affairs 




"Passing the Bar" celebration at work. 


   When I first got off the phone with the man who told me that I was offered this big scholarship/stipend award, I wanted to cry. I'm not sure exactly why other than that my first thought went to my twins. I have been a mom for over 35 years, and no matter what I've been doing, at least I could work around my children's schedules. It meant as much to Erick as it did to me that I be available to our children's needs while raising them. Erick would have done anything, taken any job, taken 3 jobs if he must, to allow me to stay home with them. 

   Hansan and Dallan are 16 1/2 years old, and although they are good boys, seemingly very trustworthy, it only takes a moment for a teenager to get off course sometimes. And although it sometimes happens even when the mom and dad are home, it happens more often when there's no parent available.

   On the other hand, I feel that Heavenly Father has been with our family every step of the way, helping and protecting our choices, as we experience the negative or positive consequences of  our own actions. I have wrestled with this great opportunity that has been placed before me, seemingly on a silver platter, and pray I make the choice that will be most beneficial for my family and for myself. 

 4/4/2014 - I finally accepted the Department of Economic Security Stipend, in Child Welfare, funded by the Title IV-E program. I guess it's a good sign that I felt better once I said yes. This is an unbelievable opportunity, really, and I trust that I will be able to meet the needs of my boys and my family. Tommy says he has every confidence this will work out and his encouraging tone helped me feel even more peace. Emrie's comment was, "How could anyone not take it". Richard had no doubts I should accept it. Nathan compared it to when he was thinking about signing up in the armed forces to get his medical schooling paid, but agreed that my time frame does not compare, it only requiring that I work 18 months after I graduate. The twins feel good about it. Michael, Timothy and Taylor are excited for me. So, I suppose I could say that I have the support of my family. 
   

No comments: