Thursday, March 20, 2014

Teenagers.

   The boys are on a 2-week spring break from school. They've been hanging out almost every day/night with friends, or working. Tonight they went to the theater with friends, then to Discovery Park to play outdoor games, and now I am sitting here waiting for them to arrive home from a girl's house, with this same group of friends, where they went to watch a DVD; the life of a teenager! I feel peace about the friends the boys hang out with so I've let them have more freedom over this two-week break. I remind them over and over that my teenagers are much happier when they are upfront and honest about activities and feelings, and don't sneak around.

   I love teenagers, by the way. They are so full of life and drama and passion and a zest for life and high emotion and on and on. I love them! And I will definitely miss mine once they move on in life, which is one of the reasons I'm heading towards a profession (besides needing the money).

   Taylor called tonight and talked about his interview with another of the Big 4 accounting firms- this being his 3rd interview. The first two firms are flying him out for 2nd interviews and he thought he'd get a call-back from today's, too. He talked about Morgan, a girl he likes who is currently on a mission. I suspect he will marry her once she gets home in 9 months, but we will see. He said he can't get her out of his mind; her personality seems ideal for him, plus he tends to favor short, little girls...

   It will be a while longer before I hear back about the scholarship/stipend interview. I feel very torn about this, but I think it's because I have been a homemaker for so many years, and I'm still raising my boys. If I am to move forward in a career, I can't think of another agency I'd rather work for so I hope they accept me. Working with neglected/abused children through family facilitation seems to hit the spot. A clinical therapist makes lots more money but it doesn't seem as appealing. The primary role in child welfare is case management, and I envision constant use of therapies and intervention skills but in a much different setting. I'd love to learn how the court system works with families, too. Just seems like a well-rounded way to learn as much as possible about every aspect of social work and resources within communities.

   My children made my 59th birthday a special day on March 7th. I received phone calls from everyone, and Nathan and Emrie took me out for dinner and then out for a yogurt treat. I enjoyed their company very much. My children gave me many nice gifts. On the Sunday afterwards, Nathan's family dropped in after church with another gift and happy birthday pictures the girls had drawn. Hansan was particularly cute about his gift of tulips. He tried to order flowers by phone and online but didn't realize that he needed a credit card so he asked Emrie for help. She told him that it costs less to pick them up yourself and since he had no transportation she picked some up for him, but he made it clear that he had the money and wanted to pay her back; this made me smile. I truly do have a bunch of very thoughtful children.

  I am having fun with Lyla and Lars here right now (I wrote most of this entry yesterday, btw). They frequently tell me that they are hungry, which reminds me of my little ones. :-)

   OH! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my mom and my grandson, Lincoln!

   P.S. The twins and I drove to Tuscan after they got off work at 4 p.m. Little Jackson is so cute and looks like both Richie and Jena. Jena's milk came in and she's definitely going to be a good little mommy nurser. Richard or Jena's eyes sparkle whenever they look at Jackson with pride, it's so cute and comforting. Richard has been very sick and it sounds like Jena is coming down with it too. Richard asked me to pick up Jena's mom, Susan, from the airport on Sunday. It will be great to catch up with some heart-to-heart with her so I am more than happy to do it. She will be with them for 2 weeks.
   The twins and I didn't get home from Tuscan until midnight so I don't know why I'm up and still writing .... now it's 12:14 a.m., so good night and sleep tight! 

Proud Uncle Hansan. :-) 

 Proud Uncle Dallan. :-) 

No comments: