Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Apron Strings and Blackberries



It won't be long until Hansan and Dallan are old enough to leave the nest. Although I've gone through this before, it's never easy to loosen the apron strings. They are now 16 and ready to experience more and that's what we do, as parents, train them to move forward in life. Right now the boys are definitely interested in girls. It's a balancing act- loosening the reigns, yet taking up the slack.

The twins applied and interviewed for a job at FlipSide, a game center which has bowling, laser tag, bumper cars, an eatery, pool, miniature golf, etc. Tonight will be their first time working here. Dallan will work as a bus boy, and Hansan will start out in games. They are both excited and a big plus is that it's within walking distance.


When I was a little girl my first jobs were babysitting and picking blackberries. If you can believe it, a gallon of blackberries went anywhere from $.50 to $1.50 a gallon and babysitting pay was about the same per hour no matter how many children there were. I remember ordering seeds through the mail and excited about selling them door-to-door even though there were frequent rejections. I used to sell Current products this way, too (boxed stationery). I was not afraid to do whatever needed to have a little spending money. Cleaning houses and working for Al in her Montgomery Wards catalog store were two other jobs I did. Wendell Dunn hired me as a cashier in his pharmacy during my high school years.


I loved picking blackberries. We'd get all scratched up and sometimes accidentally fall into the stickery bushes, but it was still fun. To this day I love to pick blackberries and one of my favorite desserts is blackberry cobbler.



No comments: