Thursday, February 13, 2014

Confiscated Oranges! :-(

Lately I have had the opportunity to go to Cozumel with my sister. She has generously invited me and paid my way. I couldn't believe it the first time she wanted to take me, and I enjoyed spending time with her. It was even more unbelievable when she asked me to go AGAIN within about a month from the first trip!- and she paid all my expenses AGAIN! Lucky me! 

The first time we went I met Pam and Mike in Dallas and we flew on into Cozumel on the same flight in FIRST CLASS, no less! First time ever, for me; I could easily be spoiled! The second time around, we traveled at different times to and from Mexico. Although one part of my flight from Phoenix to Dallas was a little bumpy, the trip to Cozumel was uneventful. I knew my way around enough in Cozumel that Pam did not meet me at the airport and I got myself to the hotel.

Unfortunately, I got caught with oranges through Mexico customs :-(  :-( . The oranges from our backyard have been absolutely heavenly. I made the mistake to post about my delicious citrus trees on Facebook and of course a couple of friends hinted at wanting some, and of course I was more than willing to share and show off their deliciousness. Emrie's family has enjoyed them too. Well, there weren't many left when I decided to be selfish and hide the last 8, but then I decided I should share more so stuffed them into my suitcase to allow Mike and Pam the privilege to each have ONE ..... ;-) . WELL, I had 2 in my backpack that I carried in flight but didn't have the good sense to eat on the way (I was worried about my fingernails). Of course once we landed in Mexico they checked my backpack and gave me the evil-eye and wanted to know if I had anymore oranges; well of course I piped up and admitted, proudly,that yes indeedy, I sure did have more in my checked bag! THEY CONFISCATED THEM! WAH! These oranges were like gold to me!!! I didn't know I couldn't bring them across the border. They apologized as they drooled. I begged them to p-l-e-a-s-e eat them because they were the best oranges on the face of this earth!! I could tell by the smug little looks in their greedy little eyes that they would enjoy them, so I'm thinking that at least they didn't go to waste. DARN IT! 

Dummy me! Since I have not traveled out of the country for many, many years, like our country, I didn't realize that other countries might not want our fresh produce to go into their country either! Dummy, dummy. Okay, so I guess it really isn't that big a deal, but at the time, I was a little shocked and I complained about the unfairness of it throughout the week! I'm over it now, though .... :-) 

Next year I am only going to share with Emrie!       ;-)

No comments: