Friday, February 14, 2014

Alligator Kisses

When our children were growing up I would give, what I labeled, an alligator kiss. It became a game. The moment I would say "time for an alligator kiss", the kids would either cover their ears, or run for cover. You see, it's not actually a "kiss", it's a little pinch on the tip of the lobe of the ear. They knew I meant it in love and teasing, and sometimes I still do it; hence, the title of this blog.

One of my sons, Tommy, called me one day, when he was still living in Maryland. He was attending law school at American University in Washington D.C. He has a beautiful wife and three children of his own. But he called to tell me that he remembered why family home evening and family prayer, and scripture study were so important to him. He realized it was because I had taught him. It brought tears to my eyes that he would call to specifically share this with me; kind of like, just maybe I did something right along the parental path.

It's easy to beat ourselves up as parents. Whether one has one child or nine, the challenges can be tough, yet the rewards are worth every tear when a child finally figures out who they truly are- this beautiful human being who has the greatest potential. As a parent, my greatest joy comes when a child is happy and knows what they want for their own path in life, and take the steps to attain their own goals by realizing that with God's help, they will attain their own true joy. We do not come with instruction booklets for each individual child, yet some how, it all comes together down the road of life.

Today is Valentine's Day. Over the past few days I have been thinking a lot about Erick. He would usually have flowers sent to me, give me a heart box of chocolates, and take me out to dinner. One year we attended a big Valentine's Day party and Erick was asked to sing. He had a beautiful voice, to say the least. He sang love songs to me. He actually sang for all kinds of programs, weddings, choirs, and community affairs. After his death, for a few years, it was very emotional for me to listen to men's singing voices. I miss his voice, it was always like music to my ears, even when I was mad at him...

My brother had flowers sent to me today; beautiful tulips! I don't know what I'd do without him. Yesterday I visited with Emry (my sister-in-law) at their  home, and dropped off a bowl that I had made for Wayne while sitting on the beach side in Cozumel. She's a wonderful woman and I told her that I loved her and have always admired her. I love her personality.



My beautiful daughter and her family stopped by this evening and gave me this bouquet of flowers, too!


No comments: